Indoor Air Quality
Think about the air you breathe every day—how clean is it?
Most people spend the vast majority of their days indoors, and much of that time is spent at home. Yet, it’s easy to overlook your indoor air quality (IAQ). We might think about the temperature of our Virginia homes and even the water quality. But how often do you think about the air you are breathing?
Our team at Able Heating & Air has practical and sustainable suggestions to improve your indoor air quality. We specialize in creating comfortable homes. Let’s take a look at a few steps you can consider to improve the air quality inside your Locust Grove, VA, area home.
What Causes Poor Indoor Air Quality?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) identifies indoor air pollution as particulate matter or gas.
Particulate matter consists of solids and liquid droplets that vary in size. Some particles are small enough to be inhaled and can cause sinus problems, burning eyes, bronchitis, and respiratory illnesses. Dust, fumes and smoke, viruses, pollen, dust mites, pet dander, bacteria, and mold are some examples.
The EPA notes that hundreds of gaseous pollutants also have been found indoors. Sources include tobacco smoke, gas stoves, exhaust fumes, laser printers, paints, building materials, furniture, adhesives, caulks, cleaning products, craft materials, pesticides, and other chemicals.
How Can You Recognize Poor Indoor Air Quality?
Sore throats, stuffy noses, constant headaches—these symptoms of poor indoor quality are often mistaken as respiratory issues.
Continual exposure to indoor pollutants can lead to more serious health consequences like heart disease, chronic respiratory illnesses, and even cancer.
Take control of the air you breathe. Give our team and schedule a free consultation to determine how we can improve your indoor air quality.
Indoor Air Quality Services
Controlling the source of air pollution and providing adequate ventilation are both necessary to improve your air quality. Here are some products that can help:
- A whole-house air filtration system seamlessly integrates with your ductwork to protect your entire home. These systems work especially well if someone in your home suffers from allergies or a respiratory condition. These whole-house systems integrate directly into your ductwork for comprehensive coverage.
- If you suspect your indoor air quality is lacking, then an air cleaner could be the perfect solution. Air cleaners include different types of air purification systems, each with its own specific uses.
- Balance your indoor humidity levels with a whole-house humidifier. Dry air can lead to sore throats, stuffy noses, an increased risk of illness, and cause damage to your wood furniture and flooring. The ideal humidity level is between 30 and 50 percent.
- Muggy hot weather is a drag. Your air conditioner works hard to remove some of the excess moisture in the air—another solution is to install a whole-house dehumidifier. When the humidity level is out of balance in your home, everyone suffers.
- If you find that your indoor air is stale, bring some fresh air indoors. But how do you do so without raising your energy bill? An energy recovery ventilator (ERV) is a great solution for improved comfort without increased associated costs.
- A heat recovery ventilator (HRV) works much like an ERV in that it uses outgoing stale air to precondition incoming fresh air. You enjoy fresh air without stressing your HVAC system and paying higher energy bills. These systems integrate with your ductwork to create an added layer of comfort.
- For biological contaminants such as mold spores, mildew, and bacteria, you need an ultraviolet (UV) germicidal light. Hospitals and industrial settings have used these systems for years. Now the technology is available for your home.
Remove the Sources of Pollution
Whichever strategy you choose, these simple steps will help improve your indoor air quality:
- Change or clean air filters according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Seal leaks in your ductwork.
- Vacuum and dust regularly.
- Drain dehumidifiers daily and clean the reservoir.
- Clean refrigerator drip pans regularly.
Installing or Replacing Your Indoor Air Quality System
Our licensed professionals are trained to work with indoor air quality systems. We specialize in retrofitting equipment in older homes, along with new construction and remodeling jobs.
Are you looking to replace a component? We install and replace all makes and models of HVAC equipment. We only use top-quality parts and materials to get the job done right.
Repairing Your Indoor Air Quality System
Give us a call right away if you detect an issue with your equipment. Whether your system starts making a strange noise or is not responding correctly, our team will quickly troubleshoot the problem and resolve it.
Maintaining Your Indoor Air Quality System
Preventative maintenance plays a vital role in the performance of all your heating and cooling equipment. Let’s work together to create a planned maintenance schedule that fits your needs and budget.
Be sure to ask about our Maintenance Plan that offers significant cost savings on service calls, repairs, and parts. Sign up today and enjoy peace of mind knowing a trusted professional is watching over your HVAC equipment.
Call Your Indoor Air Quality Experts Today
Take steps to control the air quality inside your Locust Grove, VA, area home. Able Heating & Air is a trusted source for all your home comfort needs. Call us at 540-718-7556 or request service online today.
“Able Heating & Air/Mike Sidle installed a whole-house humidifier at my residence yesterday. From beginning to end the job was performed professionally and to my complete satisfaction. Mike arrived on time and really appreciated that when I answered the door he had his covid mask and shoe slippers on. He discussed with me what he was going to do and answered all my questions. The installation took about three hours and involved electrical and plumbing work. When finished, Mike explained the system and again answered all my questions. Have also received by email all related documents related to the performed work. Mike was most professional and friendly and am thoroughly enjoying my whole house humidifier. But I’ve been with Able Heating for several years, they always do an excellent job so not surprised that Mike Sidle did such a good job.”
– Pam N.
“Able Heating does great follow up. Always contacts us when a service is needed and then keeps us up to date with status.
The team is on time and always lets you know when they are on the way.
All of the technicians are courteous and know what they are doing.
thanks for keeping our equipment running great.”
– David c.
“What I love about Able Heating & Air is the communication that takes place including the customer. Amy (Customer Representative) is also to be commended for getting answers to questions and communicating. All efforts bring about a really great result leading to customer satisfaction and great products. We just added the Air Scrubber and EZ Trap Condensation Safety Device.”
– Robert T.
“Convenient appointment set up. Coordinated arrival of technician. Seth evaluated the necessary repair and insured that the best method was applied to complete the job. Great customer service from everyone.”
– Tom A.
“"Tech arrived on time and answered my questions to my satisfaction.He had the replacement filter and the new capacitor for the a/c on handand didn't have to order parts.Chris was very nice and a pleasure to work with."”
– D. K.
“To start with I contacted Able Heating and Air in reference to obtaining an estimate to replace my heating/air system. I was immediately given an appointment within a few days. However, the day before my appointment I turned on my heat and experienced a horrible smell like burning food in a stove. That day I called Able and spoke with Amy to express my concerns with regards to the burning smell. Even though I was not a customer at that moment she took the time to contact the owner and make him aware of my concerns. She immediately called me back and advised me that the owner was also concerned with the unusual odor and suggested that I turn the system off immediately. They immediately changed my appointment to that day. Bo responded to my home and was promptly on time. He was very professional, polite and informative and took the time to explain every detail with regards to replacing my system. He also provided several options to choose from to meet my budget and obtain a system that would best suit my needs. From that day forward the office has remained in contact with me via phone or email with regards to replacing my system. Do to the fact I was not able to run my system they made arrangement to replace it the following Monday morning.
The service team arrived that Monday morning in a timely manner. They were also very polite, professional and informative. They worked through the day and into the early evening hours until the install was complete. They took the time to show me how the new thermostat worked and provided my with the instruction booklet. They also took to time to photograph the air handler installation which was located in the crawl space of my home. This prevented me from crawling under the house to inspect the work. I considered that to be very thoughtful on their part and concerned about me having to crawl under the house. Once they were finished they cleaned up everything along with removing the old air handler and heat pump and the only way I knew they were even there was the view of an new quietly running Trane heat pump.In closing I would like to say that Able Heating and Air greatly surpassed my expectations in the service they have provided me. I highly recommend this company for all your heating and air conditioning needs. “